Are you struggling with pests in your home, but don’t have the cash to hire a reliable pest control service? Here are a few prevention tips you should keep in mind to save money.
- Store your wood properly, and as far from your living area as possible. Keeping your lumber and firewood stacked around is like an all-you-can-eat buffet for termites. Make sure you store these away from your home.
- Seal all the cracks and crevices in your crawlspaces, foundation, and attics. Thoroughly check these spaces for any holes that pesky creatures can use to enter your home. This problem can easily be solved using a good silicone or caulk.
- Use a vapour barrier in your crawlspace. Don’t forget to check if the moisture levels in your crawlspaces are higher than they should be. Install a vapour barrier or else rodents and bugs will be attracted to the moisture.
- Put away the rubbish. Piles of clothes in the corner? Newspaper all over the floor? Rubbish like this creates the perfect nesting ground for pests. Make sure you clean your mess up to keep rodents and insects from feeling at home.
- Don’t be lazy and keep your house clean. If there are crumbs on the floor and spills on your table, clean those up right away. You don’t want to attract any creatures that see these as yummy treats.
- Tidy up your landscaping. Tall turf creates the perfect hiding spot for pests, so keep it mode. Plus, any shrubs and trees should not touch the exterior to your home. Make sure you set aside any unused planters and pots that could store water, so these won’t attract pests as well.
- Take care of any leaks in your home. Are your appliances, pipes, or plumbing fixtures leaking? These leaks create moisture, which pests love so much! Repair them right away.
- Throw your trash away. Keep your trash bins closed when they’re in your house, and don’t let them stay too long indoors. Take the trash out regularly.
- Store your food well. Use packages with air-tight lids to keep roaches, ants, and other pests away from your cabinets and counters.
All of these tasks can be overwhelming. Sometimes, pests still come even if you take all the preventative measures. There could be pests already hiding in your home that you weren’t even aware of. For pest problems that persist, your best option would be to hire a pest control service.
Although hiring a pest company seems expensive at first, it’s a great investment to keep your home healthy and your loved ones safe. You might even prevent a huge pest invasion with their expert services, which can be more expensive in the long run.
Don’t get stressed over pests. Let The Local Bug Guy help.